“What different types of CBD oil are available?” is one of the first questions asked by patients seeking to understand how CBD oil in its different forms can help for pain relief, treatment of epileptic seizures, anxiety, and a number of other medical issues. Cannabidiol (CBD) is available in a number of formulations and methods of delivery. Dosage amounts and concentrations of CBD can also vary from product to product.
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD is a cannabis derivative that shows great promise in treating chronic pain and seizure disorders. An article published in the medical journal Epilepsy Currents and made available through the U.S. National Institutes of Health indicates that CBD oil and other products containing CBD can provide significant benefits for patients suffering from certain types of epilepsy. Unlike THC, another derivative of the cannabis plant, CBD produces no euphoric high and is considered safe and effective for children and adult patients.
CBD Oil Types
CBD oil is available in a number of different forms designed to allow easy use by patients. Some of the most common forms include the following:
• Topical solutions, as their name suggests, are designed to be applied to the skin and are primarily intended to relieve pain and tension in specific areas of the body. Because CBD oils have been shown to reduce inflammation as well as pain, these topical applications can be very useful for patients with chronic arthritis pain.
• CBD oil tinctures are a combination of a liquid medium and CBD-rich oils. Some formulations include other elements like honey, mint and natural flavorings to enhance the taste of these products and to offer added benefits to patients. Tinctures can be taken by eyedropper or spoon depending on the concentration of CBD oil they contain.
• Concentrates of CBD oil are generally much stronger than other kinds of CBD oil products. These concentrates usually indicate the amount of CBD in a single dose and can ensure the most effective pain relief and control over seizures. However, the cost of processing these high-CBD products can result in much higher prices for this form of CBD oil.
• CBD sprays are a convenient way to access the benefits of this medication with minimal fuss. Available in flavored and unflavored varieties, CBD oil sprays are portable and offer easy dosing. This can be of great value to patients in managing pain and coping with busy schedules.
• Ingesting CBD oil in capsule form can also provide real benefits for patients and their caregivers. These medications generally indicate precise concentrations of CBD and recommended dosages. Although there are no reported cases of toxicity associated with cannabis derivatives, patients should not exceed the recommended dose of capsule CBD oil without the recommendation and guidance of a qualified physician.
• Injectable CBD oil is usually sold in syringes and offers a very high concentration of active ingredients. These products are often used to treat the chronic pain associated with cancer or to control epileptic seizures. Injectable CBD treatments are usually performed in clinical settings or with the assistance of a professional medical caregiver to ensure the safety and effectiveness of these procedures.
• Vaping CBD oil is also possible but not especially recommended. This method of delivery has not yet been thoroughly tested to determine its effectiveness in reducing inflammation and relieving pain.
The concentration of CBD in each product will determine its effectiveness in reducing pain and providing relief for patients.
Is CBD Oil Legal?
The policy experts at the prestigious Brookings Institution have called for an end to all legal restrictions on CBD oil throughout the U.S. In almost all cases, CBD oil can be safely sold and purchased even in states without accommodations for other cannabis-based medications. The absence of THC in CBD oil formulations ensures that it is legal for use in all 50 states.
Is CBD Oil Safe?
If you are currently under the care of a doctor for your medical condition, you may be able to obtain a recommendation regarding the best CBD solution for your needs. CBD oil is safe and nontoxic even at very high doses. In fact, no cases of overdose on CBD have ever been reported in medical literature, making it one of the safest and most practical solutions for long-term pain and seizure control.
Researching the various CBD oil types can help you find the right solution for chronic pain and seizure management. Learning what different types of CBD oil are available can be a good beginning for your journey into an enhanced quality of life and a brighter future.
Related resource: Why is CBD Oil So Expensive?