Everyone struggles with an occasional lousy night of sleep, but when tossing and turning become a frequent problem, it can be downright debilitating. If you’ve tried everything and you’re still suffering from a lack of sleep, you may want to consider CBD oils for sleep and insomnia issues.
Featured CBD Oil Brands For Sleep
Table of Contents
- Sleep Deprivation Is a Growing Problem
The Best CBD Oils for Sleep and Insomnia
- 1. Kanibi Full Spectrum CBD Oil Tincture
- 2. Plant Panda Pure CBD Oil
- 3. Joy Organics CBD Softgels with Melatonin for Sleep
- 4. Charlotte’s Web CBD Sleep Gummies
- 5. cbdMD CBD PM For Sleep
- 6. CBDistillery Extra Strength CBN + CBD Sleep Tincture
- 7. Medterra Sleep Tight CBD Gummies
- 8. Green Roads Sweet Sleep Oil
- 9. Mission Farms Rest Bath Soak
- 10. Elixinol Good Night Capsules
- What Makes These the Best CBD Oils For Sleep and Insomnia?
Sleep Deprivation Is a Growing Problem
Demanding lifestyles, anxiety, chronic pain, sleep disorders, and more contribute to the collective sleep deprivation problem in America. The National Sleep Foundation reports that 63% of Americans say that their sleep needs are not being met during the week. Additionally, about 10% of the population suffers from chronic insomnia. If that isn’t staggering enough, not getting enough sleep causes more problems than you would think.
Johns Hopkins Medicine published a report with the following staggering statistics.
- 6,000 fatal motor vehicle accidents are caused by drowsy driving each year.
- Sleep deprivation increases your risk for obesity by 50 percent.
- Sleep can age your brain as much as five years.
Of course, that’s not all. Sleep deprivation increases your risk for depression, anxiety, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, dementia, and even catching a common cold. Lack of adequate sleep can negatively affect your mood, impair your memory, impair your judgment, and even put you at risk for early mortality.
All the scary science aside, not getting enough sleep just doesn’t feel good. It reduces your body’s ability to heal, is detrimental to your productivity, and nearly obliterates your ability to focus. You deserve better than that.
Many things keep people up at night, such as insomnia, chronic pain, anxiety, or even a general inability to relax. CBD might be the answer regardless of what’s keeping you up at night.
CBD for Sleep
While the research is still in its infancy, CBD is showing promise as an effective way to relieve pain and inflammation. Pain is something that many people struggle with more at night. So, if your discomfort is keeping you awake, CBD may help your body relax so you can, too.
While it is not fully understood, CBD could increase your body’s production of melatonin. How? CBD reduces tryptophan degeneration. When tryptophan is readily available in your bloodstream, it allows your pineal gland to produce melatonin more effectively. In addition to that, while inflammation is detrimental to tryptophan cells, CBD has anti-inflammatory properties. The hormone melatonin is vital in helping you fall asleep and stay asleep, and a lot of things throughout our day can impair its production.
CBD may also help regulate mood and reduce anxiety, providing you with an overall feeling of relaxation and calm, which can help you get some rest.
The Endocannabinoid System and Sleep
Researchers discovered that the endocannabinoid system plays a role in maintaining certain body functions, such as mood, appetite, sleep, and regulating circadian rhythms. Within the endocannabinoid system is a network of cannabinoid receptors in the brain and central nervous system. The two primary receptors identified are CB1 and CB2.
Scientists have found that the body’s endocannabinoid system could play a vital role in regulating certain functions like appetite, mood, and yes, even sleep. This vast network of receptors is present throughout your central nervous system and brain, and works in synchronicity with cannabinoids from nature, like those found in hemp.
The cannabinoids attach to the cells in the ECS and exert specific effects. Some research shows that CBD interacts with these receptors, explaining its effects on sleeping and wakefulness.
Is CBD Safe for Insomnia?
CBD is safe, natural, not psychoactive, not addictive, and has no major detrimental side effects. (Ironically, one of the side effects some people have reported is sleepiness). The current pharmaceutical approaches to sleeplessness fall short in comparison. Benzodiazepines or other hypnotic or sedative sleep aids can come with a lot of problems. Side effects of these heavy-duty drugs include addiction, abnormal sleep behavior, hallucinations, impaired memory, even suicidal thoughts or actions.
Another downside to these prescription sleep drugs is that many people build a tolerance to them, requiring higher doses over time to get the same effects. CBD does not exhibit any of these issues.
Should you try CBD for sleep? It’s definitely worth looking into the many CBD products available that claim to help with sleep. Since CBD has potential benefits for so many other issues, it may help support your overall well-being and have other positive effects.
Now let’s have a look at the best CBD for insomnia.
The Best CBD Oils for Sleep and Insomnia
1. Kanibi Full Spectrum CBD Oil Tincture
- Organically grown hemp
- Double-lab tested for safety
- 100 percent money-back guarantee
- Ingredients: 100% organic full-spectrum CBD oil, MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) coconut oil, natural flavors, stevia
- Pricing: $0.09 per milligram
Company: Kanibi is on a mission to offer the highest-quality organically sourced CBD oil using the power of science. This brand takes its products seriously, using only the best phytocannabinoid-rich hemp in the country and testing each batch of its CBD twice for quality assurance.
This Full Spectrum CBD Oil contains all of the beneficial compounds found in the whole hemp plant, so it’s designed to work in tandem with your endocannabinoid system. Select from 750- or 1,500-milligram bottles. For those who don’t care for the rich, earthy, taste of hemp, the brand offers four unique flavors—Skittles, choco mint, cinnamon, and lemon lime.
Shipping: Orders over $100 qualify for free shipping.
Returns: 100% satisfaction guarantee. Contact support at email@example.com for instructions on how to obtain a refund.
2. Plant Panda Pure CBD Oil
- Sourced from organic hemp
- THC free
- Low price
- Ingredients: 100% organic CBD, MCT coconut oil, natural flavors
- Pricing: $0.05 per milligram
Company: Plant Panda is a newer CBD brand specializing in CBD isolate oils. This budget-friendly option is ideal for those looking for CBD only, without any of the other cannabinoids, terpenes, or compounds found in full-spectrum brands. It’s a great way of determining if CBD can help you sleep or not, and the price makes it an attractive option for those who are not ready to spend a lot of money.
This Pure CBD Oil comes in two potencies — 750 or 1,500 milligrams — and both come in at less than $0.05 cents per milligram. Since it’s made with CBD isolate, it’s completely THC-free. Sourced from premium Kentucky hemp, you can select cinnamon, fruit burst, or unflavored.
Shipping: Orders over $50 qualify for free shipping.
Returns: 100% money-back guarantee.
3. Joy Organics CBD Softgels with Melatonin for Sleep
- Made with organically cultivated CBD
- No THC
- Rigorous third-party testing
- Ingredients: phytocannabinoid-rich hemp extract, melatonin (water soluble), polysorbate emulsifiers, medium-chain triglycerides, beta-caryophyllene, Roman chamomile, bovine-derived gelatin, glycerin, sorbitol, and water.
- Pricing: $0.12 per milligram
Company: Joy Organics is a reputable brand driven by values like integrity, compassion, and excellence. It is family owned and operated, and donates a portion of each month’s revenue to select local or global nonprofits, depending on where the need is at the time. One of the best things about Joy Organics is that the majority of its products are made with broad-spectrum hemp. This means they contain all the goodness of full-spectrum CBD with no trace amounts of THC.
For sleep, Joy Organics’ CBD Softgels with Melatonin is a terrific option worth trying out. They are made using a proprietary water-soluble nanoemulsion technology that makes them more bioavailable and aids in absorption. Each softgel contains 25 milligrams of CBD and 1 gram of melatonin, a winning combination that should see you gently off to dreamland in no time at all.
Shipping: Orders over $99 qualify for free shipping.
Returns: 100% satisfaction guarantee. Contact support to initiate the process.
4. Charlotte’s Web CBD Sleep Gummies
- Highly respected brand
- Third-party lab tested
- Formulated especially for sleep
- Ingredients: full-spectrum hemp extract, melatonin, tapioca syrup, beet sugar, fructooligosaccharides (FOS), water, natural flavors, MCT oil, pectin, organic fruit, and vegetable juice (color). Less than 1% of: citric acid, sodium citrate, dihydrate, organic sunflower lecithin, tapioca starch
- Pricing: $0.06 to $0.10 per milligram
Company: Charlotte’s Web is an industry leader known for its top-shelf CBD products. It is one of the most recognized and reputable CBD brands in the world offering a full lineup of hemp-based products, including oils, capsules, pet products, topicals, and three types of CBD gummies.
The brand’s CBD Sleep Gummies have a tasty raspberry flavor and contain 10 milligrams of plant-based cannabinoids in each serving. This is a full-spectrum product so it may help encourage the entourage effect. Additionally, each gummy contains 3 milligrams of melatonin per serving. Customers can select from packages of 30, 60, or 90 gummies, with the price per milligram going down as the quantity increases. A subscription program is also available, which can save you an additional 10% each month.
Shipping: Free ground shipping on orders over $74.
Returns: 30-day guarantee. Return the unused portion for a full refund.
5. cbdMD CBD PM For Sleep
- Award-winning product
- Contains a range of botanicals to promote good sleep
- Vegan and gluten-free
- Ingredients: hemp extract (cannabidiol, cannabigerol, cannabinol), proprietary blend (valerian root extract [Valeriana wallichii], hops flower extract [Humulus lupulus], lemon balm leaf/flower extract [Melissa officinalis], chamomile flower extract [Matricaria recutita], passion flower extract [Passiflora incarnata]), melatonin, MCT oil, and natural flavor.
- Pricing: $0.09 per milligram
Company: As a trusted and reputable brand in the CBD space, cbdMD has proven itself year after year with its extensive range of CBD products. The brand has a huge selection of options, and it is known for its reasonable prices. cbdMD also has a 100% satisfaction guarantee and displays its third-party lab results right on the website.
This CBD PM For Sleep is an innovative CBD oil that contains a range of botanicals that may be just the thing to settle you down for a solid night of rest. In addition to 16.5 milligrams of CBD in each serving, you’ll get 5 milligrams of melatonin and the calming properties of chamomile, valerian root extract, passionflower, hops, and lemon balm.
Shipping: All orders over $79.95 ship free.
Returns: 60-day money-back guarantee. Contact support to initiate a return.
6. CBDistillery Extra Strength CBN + CBD Sleep Tincture
- Independently tested at ISO (International Organization for Standardization)-certified labs
- Trusted brand established in Colorado
- Hemp sourced from open-air farms in the U.S.
- Ingredients: full-spectrum hemp extract (aerial parts), cannabinol (CBN), fractionated coconut oil (MCT), natural terpenes.
- Pricing: $0.11 per milligram
Company: Voted Mashable’s #1 Value Brand in 2019, CBDistillery is well known for its high-quality hemp-based products. The brand was established by a group of Colorado natives who wanted to bring the potentially life-changing benefits of CBD to the world at large, and its has done just that with its huge offering of effective solutions.
This Extra Strength CBN + CBD Sleep Tincture is innovative and unique because it combines cannabidiol (CBD) with another cannabinoid called Cannabinol (CBN). Together, these compounds are thought to aid with sleep and relaxation, and if the reviews are any indication of its effectiveness, we would say this product is a winner.
Shipping: Free shipping on orders over $75.
Returns: 60-day customer satisfaction guarantee. Fill out a money-back guarantee form for refund or credit.
7. Medterra Sleep Tight CBD Gummies
- THC free
- 99.6% pure CBD
- Delicious strawberry flavor
- Ingredients: Melissa officinalis (lemon balm), Matricaria chamomilla (chamomile), L-theanine, Passiflora (passion flower), cannabidiol (hemp extract), 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan), melatonin, tapioca syrup, raw sugar, DI water, citrus pectin, natural flavor and color, citric acid, sodium citrate, carnauba wax
- Pricing: $0.05 per milligram
Company: Medterra products are crafted from pure CBD isolate—99.6 percent pure to be exact. That means that they contain no other cannabinoids or terpenes, including THC (tetrahydrocannabinol, the compound that produces the high). The lack of THC makes them a strong contender for the best THC-free gummies and is a quality this brand is well known for.
In addition to CBD isolate, Medterra’s Sleep Tight CBD Gummies are packed with ingredients thought to help with sleep and relaxation, like chamomile, passion flower, 5-HTP, and L-theanine. They also have 3 grams of melatonin per serving. Each bag of strawberry-flavored gummies contains 30 pieces, enough for a full month of good sleep.
Shipping: Free shipping on all U.S. orders over $65.
Returns: When purchased through CBD Direct, unopened products returned within 30 days are eligible for a full refund.
8. Green Roads Sweet Sleep Oil
- Trusted and well-known brand
- Supercritical CO2 extraction
- Multistage independent-lab testing
- Ingredients: Vitamin E (as tocopherols), hemp-derived cannabidiol (CBD), hemp-derived cannabinol (CBN), melatonin, vegetable glycerin, medium-chain triglycerides, blueberry flavor, lecithin, and Cannabis sativa (hemp) seed oil
- Pricing: $0.10 to $0.15 per milligram
Company: Green Roads offers a full line of award-winning CBD sleep products that are pharmacist formulated and crafted in-house. The brand is vertically integrated, overseeing its entire process from seed to sale, and Green Roads is the largest privately held CBD company in America.
If you are looking for a CBD product from Green Roads to help you get a better night’s sleep, we’d recommend you start with the 750-milligram Sweet Sleep Oil. It contains CBD, CBN, and melatonin to help you drift gently off to dreamland. However, the brand’s remedies for sleep don’t stop there. The full line of sleep products from Green Roads includes Sleepy Z’s Gummies, Sleep Capsules, and pre-measured Sweet Sleep Nightly Doses.
Shipping: Free standard U.S. shipping on all orders over $65.
Returns: 30-day refund window for unopened products.
9. Mission Farms Rest Bath Soak
- Offers a topical solution to a better night’s sleep
- Third-party lab results readily available
- Sourced from open-air Oregon hemp
- Ingredients: fresh raw goat’s milk, full-spectrum CBD, coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil, organic lavender essential oil
- Pricing: $0.11 per milligram
Company: Mission Farms cultivates its own hemp in Oregon’s nutrient-rich volcanic soil near the waters of the Deschutes River. The plants are organically grown and tended and harvested by hand. The brand offers plenty of unique CBD products including flavored oils infused with botanicals, CBD mints, pet products, and a whole line of CBD topicals made with raw goat’s milk.
The brand’s Rest Bath Soak is an ideal product for those who are looking for the relaxing properties of CBD in a topical product instead of ingestion. With this soak, you can make yourself a soothing bath that can help calm the mind and body, and prepare you for a night of rest. It contains soothing ingredients like coconut oil and lavender essential oil along with full-spectrum CBD. A little goes a long way, and these generous containers are packed with 7 ounces—enough for about a dozen baths.
Shipping: Free shipping on orders over $99.
Returns: 30-day money-back guarantee on all Mission Farms CBD products.
10. Elixinol Good Night Capsules
- Extensive third-party testing
- Designed to support healthy sleep cycles
- U.S. Hemp Authority-certified
- Ingredients: CBD, melatonin, MCT coconut oil, vegetarian capsules [HPMC, purified water, D-sorbitol], silica
- Pricing: $0.07 per milligram
Company: Elixinol is a well-known brand that began more than 20 years ago with hemp-based paper, clothing, and fiber. Along the way, the company discovered hemp had other potentially beneficial therapeutic properties for the human body, and with a strong dedication to science and innovation, Elixinol now has some of the highest-quality CBD products in the online marketplace.
These Good Night Capsules are just the thing for a restful night’s sleep. Since they contain only 15 milligrams of CBD each, they are ideal for those looking for a low-potency capsule, and the inclusion of 2 milligrams of melatonin means they are gentle enough for most people. They are kosher, vegan, lactose-free, gluten-free, and non-GMO, making them a good option for those with dietary restrictions.
Shipping: All orders in the U.S. ship free.
Returns: If you’re not happy with your order, call 844-804-3504 to speak to customer service within 30 days.
What Makes These the Best CBD Oils For Sleep and Insomnia?
If you’re wondering how we select the best CBD products for sleep, it’s not an easy task. There are tons of great-quality CBD brands on the market and narrowing down the best options for sleep takes some effort. However, here are some of the things we look for when choosing the best products for our reviews:
- Independent Lab Tests
Third-party lab testing is the most critical factor in deciding whether a brand will make it to our top 10 lists. Independent lab tests protect consumers, and they let you know exactly what is in the product you are purchasing.
- Proper Labeling
Brands that take it upon themselves to create clear and easy-to-read labels get a gold star from us. We like to see the full list of ingredients, weight, serving sizes, suggested dosage, where the product was manufactured, and other pertinent information.
- Domestic Hemp
Domestic hemp grown in the U.S. is the most trusted in the world, thanks to the 2018 Farm Act. When you purchase products made with American hemp, you know they are sourced from plants grown in clean, safe soil.
- Overall Value
While the listed price is what most people look at when purchasing CBD products for sleep, we go a step further and calculate the cost per milligram of CBD. Determining how much CBD is in the product and looking at the overall price based on those amounts sometimes yields surprising results.
- Customer Service and User Experience
There are many ways to keep customers happy these days, from an easy-to-navigate site to a seamless checkout experience. We also look at the responsiveness of customer service and the ways you can reach out if you have an issue.
A brand’s reputation in the marketplace says a lot. We look at how long they have been around, what type of experience their experts have, and what others are saying about them.